February 16, 2008

i'm mildly appalled.

on several levels, actually:

  • on my way home from my first baby shower (someone else's kid btw), i discovered that if i drove 2 minutes in the opposite direction on the road to the airport, i would arrive at a tiny (but operational) outlet mall. i can't believe my jersey radar didn't pick this up sooner. i'm disappointed in myself.
  • didn't someone spread a vicious rumor (to the world) that mbas are supposed to be analytical or some such? the stat exams i've graded thus far seem to be proving otherwise. choice bits include:

  • ...If I built a small video store on a deserted desert island with no DVD or VHS stock available, what would my sales be? All the other models had positive Intercept values, implying that, somehow, people would come from far away (outside my “neighborhood”) to my deserted island and give me money...

...However, the DVD and VHS library has a very high correlation, which means that they are very correlated...

...I an not mathematision enough (any more) to judge...

...So we should leave it out to obtain a presize [ed note: as in, vs. accurate] model...

in their defense, those were from four distinct papers. i'm not sure if that revelation makes it better or worse.

anyway, in the words of the illustrious tim gunn, that is all. carry on. make it work!

(sometimes i fiend for bravo like pete doherty craves meth)

No comments: